New Yorker 2016 in Poems

The year is the only thing renewed since I am here back at home. My whole world has been paralyzed and it leaves me no choices but lying on the couch and reading poem.

Dear New Yorker! You filled me a lot this year, with words, phrases, and sentences, with their embedded magical power. You made my world lightened-up during days such these I am struggling in.
“Erik Estrada Defends His Place in the Canon,” by J. Estanislao Lopez (June 6 & 13, 2016)

Back then, I sold snow cones with my grandfather
and learned to shortchange. I wasn’t raised to be a beauty.
Back then, my mother’s Spanish moved about the house
like a ghost only she could see.
Back when I knew what was good for me,
the stage ached for my foot to grace it.


“Landscape With Loanword and Solstice,” by Lynn Melnick (August 22, 2016)
Say yes
so I let him run me to the limits
in a pickup though I know better
than to expect
the chaparral
to grow much through trauma
except in order to withstand extinction  

and the rest of 2016 is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It will make you bleed and scream and cry

روز اول؛ نه چندان تاریک